Friday, October 5, 2012

DONKTOBER - Paper Pieced Donkey


This post is part of Donktober 2012.  For more information please see here.

Today's Donktober Hostess with the Mostest is Kristy from Quiet Play.  I affectionately call Kristy the "Paper Piecing Queen" as she has a genuine love and knack for all things foundation pieced.  So, when I needed someone to create a special donkey block for Donktober she was the first person who popped into my mind.

Luckily for me (and you!) Kristy more than willingly agreed to not only design her own donkey - but also to provide the pattern and a tutorial FREE.  How lovely is that?!

DONKEY PAPER PIECED BLOCKS - by Kristy of Quiet Play
Paper Pieced Donkey blocks by Kristy of Quiet Play

Cute, yes?  YES!  And, just to prove to you that the pattern is very do-able, even for beginners, I had a crack too.

Donkey Paper Pieced Block by Missy Mac Creations

It's not exactly perfect (gasp) but this is only the third paper pieced block I've ever made - so if I can do it YOU CAN TOO!  Seriously.

I've never worked with this colour combination before but like how the Kona Berry, Heirloom's Tile Flourish in Amber and Verandah's Medallion Dots in Aqua all come together.

When I started it last night (yes, I'm a bit of a last minute worker) I had grand plans to make it into a tote bag but, alas, bed called before I could get it done.  Hopefully I'll get a bit of time later today to finish it up, though, so I can join the TGIFF linky party and enter their wonderful competion -  OctoberQuest.

Sorry, I know I'm yabbering on and on... BUT... before I let you head off to see Kristy's tutorial, I just want to quickly show you the extra goodies she sent me with her sample donkey blocks.  I mean, here was a woman that I had asked to do me a favour - and she sends me gifts?!?!  What a sweetheart.

Donkey presents from Kristy of Quiet Play

Cuzco by Kate Spain = drool!  And I adore the little donkey goodies.  It makes me chuckle that friends now think of me whenever they spy an ass.  He he he.  ;)

Speaking of cute softies (we were, right?), don't forget to drop by Becca's and enter her giveaway.

Ok, off you go now.  Find Kristy's awesome pattern and tutorial HERE.

Donktober

Tomorrow I will play host again, with a special project that not only incorporates Donktober, but also the Travellin' Stitch Pic Blog Hop.  Come by to see my first ever english paper pieced project.  Ahh!

E.

7 comments:

  1. Oh you're too sweet! I had a blast coming up with a little donkey block!

    I'm so proud of you for having another crack at paper piecing! Your donkey block looks fantastic and I love love love the bold fabrics you picked! Seriously awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great paper pieced donkey! Awesome work Kristy! I love your choice of that gorgeous Heirloom print for your donkey too. I'll definitely have to give paper piecing a try in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So adorable - I will be making one too!! Love him :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is such a sweet donkey block, and thanks to you, I now have a donkey-crush. lol I finished up Reubenita last night--so glad you inspired me to dig out that pattern and have a go of it. That donkey block would make such a sweet baby quilt, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute wee guys, and love the added extras too!

    ReplyDelete