Wednesday, November 9, 2011

WIP - Summer House Quilt

Remember this disaster from last weekend?


Yes, the photography doesn't do it any justice but, trust me, it was horrible to begin with.  It still makes me shudder even thinking about it.  But even though I was completely disheartened I refused to be beaten so I sat down with a glass of wine, a movie and my trusty friend, the seam ripper, to start again.

After a little bit of playing, and the inclusion of a solid, this is the direction I am now headed.


What do you think?  I must admit that I am much happier and am loving how the white solid makes the colours (from Lily Ashbury's Summer House collection) pop.  Last time they were just so overwhelmed and seemed to compete with each other - and nothing was showcased.  Now it just seems so much brighter, perfect for summer.  I also imagine this would look gorgeous with Kona Ash, or similar, but as I am on a fabric buying ban til January 1, I needed to use my stash - so Kona White it was.

Obviously it is still following a similar design - based on the Boxed in Quilt tutorial from Moda Bake Shop.  Admittedly I only read through this once, then kind of went my own way, so it is not an exact replica.  Once it is done it will (should!) fit a single bed.

So that is my latest WIP - from tears to triumph.  I am hoping to have to top completely pieced soon but as Mr C has just returned home... I can't imagine that I'll fit too much sewing in over the next few days.  Oh well, it can wait - spending time with my beloved is so much more important!

Hope you are all having a fabulous and inspiring week.  Stay tuned for my first giveaway - coming soon!

E.

WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced

This post has been linked to WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced.  Pop on over to see what everyone has been up to.

38 comments:

  1. that looks GREAT!! do you still want to white sashing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every time I have a quilt that isn't working for me, I always chop it up and through some white in and it seems to work better! This looks great so far :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I Love it with the Kona white! It really does showcase the fabric and make the colors pop.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the direction you are headed. Looks great!

    Mary
    http://www.quiltgenius.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. the white makes a big difference and it really showcases those great prints!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that addition of the white. Great job on sticking to it. :) It paid off!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The white really does make it pop. It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh yes, it's looking so much better with the white involved. Good job taking those lemons and making lemonade!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love what adding a neutral solid does to a quilt, I think you are making a stunning quilt now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. love summer house! great pattern choice to showcase the fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just LOVE the whites and brights together. Good choice.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The white is a great choice. I find myself looking more closely at the feature fabrics. Good save!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great idea. The white makes such a difference. It's going to look wonderful. Great job not giving up.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the white with it, It makes it look so much fresher

    ReplyDelete
  15. Adding white was a terrific choice and it's looking fabulous, so lovely and fresh!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, you really turned it around! The white is great with the rest of the fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh wow, so much better! The white really helps the patterns stand out and the colours pop. Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, I Love the switch! There is nothing more disheartening than an evening with a seam-ripper, but you really have turned your disappointment into such a beautiful turn-around! Great job! I will look forward to watching your process and seeing how you finish it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What an improvement - it looks great :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I agree, adding the white works, it makes all the colors pop!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love, love, love it, Erin! The white was an excellent choice and really sets off those bright colors. Love the design, too. Well done, you! And congratulations on the return of your beloved hotdog!

    ReplyDelete
  22. The white is magical! What a transformation!

    ReplyDelete
  23. It's amazing what a little bit of white fabric will do to change a quilt, wow! I love your new-and-improved Summer House quilt, it's so fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I personally did not think your first design was that bad. BUT..... what you have done with it now is AWESOME! I can not wait to see how it turns out. And I love the "tears to triumph" part :) Enjoy your time with Mr. C.

    ReplyDelete
  25. From tears to triumph... love it!! I wouldn't have guessed that a little white would have changed it that much. Way cool!

    ReplyDelete
  26. oh, its a beautiful quilt, the white's made such a difference,

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow, the white made all the difference in the world! It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  28. It looks great! The white really makes a difference. Lets all those bright colors stand out :) I can't wait to see how it looks when it's all finished.

    ReplyDelete
  29. It looks difficult to me with the different angles. It's cool looking though.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh i am so glad u went with the solid! I was trying to think of something polite to say about the first pic and failing. You are lucky i wasnt drunk commenting tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  31. The "take 2" version is lovely. The white really really makes it pop!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wow, the white really made all the difference. It will be lovely when it's all done.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Good to follow your instinct. Great decision! It looks really cherry and happy and your eye has space to rest.

    ReplyDelete
  34. It looks such a happy quilt with the white in there, great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  35. oooh, looking good with the kona white!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I like the new version much, MUCH better! Great job, keep going on it! Thanks for linking up to WIP Wednesday. : )

    ReplyDelete
  37. Ahhh...much better. Sometimes patterned fabric just needs some breathing room. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete