Wednesday, October 12, 2011

WIP Wednesday

So... poor Brutus, my beloved sewing machine, finally decided that a hospital visit was, in fact, necessary (read about our fight here) so I am now left twiddling my thumbs anxiously awaiting his return.  I think he enjoys having such power over me and was just waiting for the perfect time to give up and refuse to sew even one more stitch.  Hmph!

Oh well, let's spend this time reviewing some of the projects I was working on when Brutus rudely decided it was time for a holiday -

CHRISTMAS TABLE RUNNER

I love the look of wonky stars and think they are perfect for the silly season.  I hadn't tried this block before but grabbed some red, white and silver fabric that I'd picked up at Spotlight on sale, and just jumped right in.  It was quite straight-forward as I followed this simple tutorial over at Silly BooDilly (though my stars are only 6.5" unfinished).



Embarassingly, even though this one is still to be basted, quilted and bound, I have already started on another two table runners with the leftover fabric - one a simple stripe design and the other offset stacked coins.  Stop me!

MOD MOSAIC FLOOR PILLOW 

During one of my many random internet searches I came across this gorgeous design by Oh! Fransson and immediately starting sewing.  Like, immediately.  I have now completed three of the suggested nine blocks and I have enjoyed every second. 


These blocks are easy, fun and do not involve one shred of stress.  What a relief.  I love having a project like this to fall back to when the pressure of points or piecing or handsewing etc etc gets a little too overwhelming.

SOFT BABY CUBES

These are nearly finished, with only one out of five left to sew.  That'll teach me to start on other projects before completing a commission.  Thanks for that little life lesson, Brutus.


And, just incase you think I've forgotten something - I leave the little holes til last so that I can try to stuff them all uniformly.  Try being the word.

SERGEANT SEBASTIAN

I am completely and utterly in love with this little guy already - and he's only half-way done.  This design actually started out as a pattern for an astronaut by Rachel of The Two Windmills... but I figured it might work for a little soldier too.


Unfortunately I can't keep him all to myself as he is destined as a present for my nephew, who will also be kitted out with matching pjs. 


Too cute!

So that's what has been keeping me busy of late and still it barely makes a dent in the to-do list.  Ahh!  Hopefully Brutus is home soon, better than ever.

This post has been linked to WIP Wednesday over at Freshly Pieced.  Check out what everyone has been up to this week.  You might just be inspired.  Or... better yet... feel free to include your list of works in progress to inspire the rest of us.  ;)

WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced

E.

8 comments:

  1. I'm loving the applique on your soft blocks, and the colors in your mosiacs are amazing. Funny, I don't tend to buy a lot of purple fabric but I am loving those. Hope you sewing machine gets returned soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy Crap! When in the H was all this going on? Damn girl...you have got your sewing machine humming no wonder Brutus needed a break. He is in hiding!!! I love the stars, but I love those Oh, Fransson blocks more. Are they really that stress free? Hmmm...maybe good for my xmas table runner...the Mr. wants modern...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your floor pillow is going to be amazing! I also have Christmas fabric just begging to be let out of the drawer, and that table runner may hold the key for it's release!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my gosh! Sgt. Sebastian is awesome :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I don't know where to start!! You've made such wonderful things - I think Brutus might be in the hospital with exhaustion brought about by overwork! Hope he recovers soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a busy bee! All your projects look great, I love those baby blocks :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the awesome eye candy!

    ReplyDelete